Thursday, December 8, 2011

Almond-Ginger Brussels Sprouts



The Christmas tree is up, but I still need a little more greenery…

Nope, I’m not talking about garland and wreaths-- I’m referring to vegetable greenery. After the first round of holiday cookie and candy baking (more on that later), I’m seriously craving some good green vegetables on my plate. So I’ve made one of my favorite Brussels sprouts recipes. Even those of you not-so-loyal fans of Brussels sprouts will appreciate this one. These sprouts are crisp with a crunch from the almonds and a zip from the ginger. Plus, they look so pretty plated. A pat of butter is not necessary for this already flavorful side dish, but I am not at all discouraging it.

Go on and get your green on!


Ingredients:
1 T. vegetable oil
½ cup chopped onion
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
¼ cup slivered almonds
1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
2/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onions, ginger, and almonds and saute until almonds begin to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and saute another 3-4 minutes.



Add the chicken stock and cook uncovered for about 6 minutes, or until the sprouts are tender and almost all the liquid has evaporated.




Season with salt and pepper.
 


Just the green I was looking for! This good-for-you dish deserves a little comfort food companions... I served mine with garlic mashed potatoes and meat loaf. De-lish!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment