Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cranberry White Cheddar Cheese Ball (and how to gift it)


Meet my fiance Brad.


We got engaged this past Memorial Day weekend at the lake.  Brad took me on a boat ride, and little did I know, his dog Haley had a ring attached to her collar.  Brad popped the question, I said yes (of course!), and we returned to a surprise celebration with family and friends at the lake house.  We are getting married in the mountains this May.

During the portion of our first date when we discussed our "hobbies," I told Brad how much I enjoy cooking-- and then I may have gotten a little carried away.  I proceeded to tell him all about the Gorgonzola butter on his steak, my cookbook collection, and even my cherished Kitchen Aid mixer.  Well, Brad suggested we cook dinner for our second date, and we've been trying new recipes together ever since.

One of our go-to menus, however, requires little preparation and no cooking at all--Wine and Cheese.  Because it has been one of our favorites, I wanted to incorporate this idea in the host and hostess gifts we gave to the sweet couples who threw our engagement party a few months ago.  Here's what I came up with...




Tucked beneath the cocktail napkins I inserted a sleeve of cheese ball recipes with wine pairing suggestions.




I think the gift turned out pretty cute, and because this is the season of giving, I had to create a holiday version.  Only with this one, I'm using a larger cheese board and throwing in the actual cheese ball.  Here's how to make it:


 Cranberry White Cheddar Cheese Ball

Makes 2 Cheese Balls

2 8 oz. bricks cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 dashes Tabasco
scant teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cranberry sauce
8 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped pecans



1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and salt until blended.
2. Fold in, one at a time, cranberry sauce, white cheddar, and dried cranberries.
3. Divide mixture in half and form into two balls.
4. Roll cheese balls in chopped pecans until coated on all sides.
5. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until serving.

NOTE:  If giving as a gift, make sure to include a tag indicating it requires refrigeration.  I made mine using a paper punch and scrapbook paper.  The note about refrigeration is on the back.  Click here for some really cute and FREE labels I discovered on Pinterest.  

To package the cheese ball, I wrapped it in a 1-1/4" strip of scrapbook paper and added a bow with craft twine and raffia.



Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

To wrap it up, I packaged one cheese ball, cocktail napkins, a cheese spreader, and a package of crackers with a wooden cheese board.


 Tape everything in place with heavy duty double sided tape, and wrap with a bow to complete.



Do you notice the similarity in wrapping?

Yes, it's intended to go with the wine gift I posted a few days ago!  Here's the complete gift...





If there is anything that I love more than good wine and cheese, it would be good conversation to go with it.  Why don't you take all three to your next holiday party?


Cheers,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment