Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Road that Ended at a Table for Two...with Macadamia Nut Encrusted Mahi Mahi


A couple of months ago, I drove the same drive I had frequented every few weeks for the past two years.  I had driven the stretch of interstate from Birmingham, Alabama to Augusta, Georgia to visit my fiance Brad so many times, I could gauge how many minutes I had left in my drive based on the road side landmarks I passed.  Almost two months ago, I took my same I-20 west-bound route until I got "there."  But this time "there" was my new home.


On May 5th I became a Mrs., and I officially moved to Augusta.  During my last drive home, I reflected on all the other recent roads I've taken...

The path my dad and I took when he walked me down the aisle at the High Hampton Inn...


 The hike to the top of Hampton Mountain that Brad and I made our first day as Husband and Wife...


There were many inspiring roads and paths we explored on our Honeymoon in Hawaii.  Perhaps the most breathtaking was the infamous Road to Hana, a curvy cliff-side drive on the end of Maui opposite the more trafficked beach resort areas.  A picture alone could never capture the beauty of this one-lane road spotted with waterfalls every few miles on one side and the ocean on the other.


We'd see the cascade of a waterfall peaking through the tree tops, hop out of the car, and hike in to get a glimpse of it all...


Occasionally, our path would end... and we would have to make our own...


With a sense of exploration at the forefront of our minds and a sense of wonder of what else we might fight on the island, we set out again on a less-traveled road to see what we could see...


Sometimes, we couldn't see what was on the other side until we got there...


I know you may be thinking, "Isn't this a food blog?"  Yes, and that leads me to share an experience Brad and I had at a charming restaurant off the beaten path.  Well, actually it is on the main drag heading into the tiny coastal down of Paia filled mainly with locals and a few traveling surfers.  Nonetheless, it is a 40-minute drive from the more popular beach resort areas, but through word of mouth, tourists from all over pay homage to Mamma's Fish House.  It is one of the best restaurants I have ever visited, and the Macadamia Nut Encrusted Mahi Mahi is one of the best dishes I've ever tasted.

Here's my attempt at recreating this dish.  While I'm not "Mamma," I am satisfied with this re-make, served with Pinapple-Coconut Salsa and Coconut Rice.  Before preparing the fish, get the rice simmering and make the salsa using the recipes below.

NOTE:  All recipes yield 4 servings.

Coconut Rice

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
1 cup lite coconut milk
1-1/4 cups water
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
salt, to taste
3 T. chopped fresh cilantro

In a medium sized heavy sauce pan, bring coconut milk, water, rice, ginger, garlic, and salt to a bowl over medium heat.  Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.  Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 minutes.  Fluff rice with a fork and toss in chopped fresh cilantro.
P.S. This will make your kitchen smell sensational!

Pinapple-Coconut Salsa

Ingredients:
1 cup fresh pinapple, coarsely chopped
1 shallot, diced
1/4 cup shredded coconut
juice of one lime
1 T. rice vinegar
salt, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate until fish is ready to serve.

Now for the fish...

Macadamia Nut Encrusted Mahi Mahi

Ingredients:
4 servings Mahi Mahi, 4-6 oz. each
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup light coconut milk
2 T. soy sauce
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Prepare breading for fish using bread crumbs, nuts, and cilantro.


 2.  Pulse the above ingredients in a food processor until well blended.  The macadamia nuts will release natural oils that smell delicious and help hold the breading together.


3. In a small bowl, combine coconut milk and soy sauce.  Brush this mixture onto the fish.


4.  Carefully press the breading onto both sides of the fish.  Season with salt and pepper.


5. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees.
6. Serve immediately topped with Pinapple-Coconut Salsa and plated with Coconut Rice.


YUM... makes me wish I was back in Hawaii.

Well I have lots of new roads ahead... newlyweds, new city, new house, new job, new blog address (more blog "newness" to follow!).

For now, I must go.  I have reservations in my kitchen... at a table for two.

Enjoy!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment